Kirby

A Great Place to Live

Kirby map
Kirby website
The city of Kirby, located eight miles west of Randolph Air Force Base on FM 78, is primarily a residential community with a population of approximately 8,600 and occupying 2.2 square miles.

Kirby provides fire protection to its city residents and the surrounding county. Currently under construction, the “public safety facility” will house the city’s expanded firefighting squad as well as dispatchers and emergency management team.

The building, between 20,000-24,000 square feet, is being built on 12 acres near Ackerman and Binz-Engleman roads. City officials have hope that the fire station aspect of the structure could eventually lead to a more involved municipal complex that could include City Hall and the police and public works departments.


The city hopes to be able to move in to the new facility as early as July 2010. The first weekend in May will stand as the city’s “Kirby Volunteer Fire Department Annual Picnic/Hobo Fest” weekend. This year’s successful venture included a full-blown carnival, a karaoke contest, margarita pour-off, food booths, arts and craft booths, a Saturday morning parade, a chili cook-off, brisket cook-off, a benefit auction, talent show, dance, live entertainment and car Kirby public safety facilityshow. A “hobo king and queen” were selected from among the members and regular attendees at the Kirby Senior Center. Each year a new king and queen is selected to reign over this weekend.

The “Hobo Fest” idea came to pass when Kirby Council Member Mike Grant did research and found Kirby was once known as “Hobo Capital of Texas” due to a large number of “hobos” gathering under the railway bridge just outside of town. While the moniker faded the city thought it might be worth the efforts to pay homage to a piece of its distant past.

The origin of the city’s name cannot be proven, but resident families who lived in the area around the turn of the century attribute its birth to the railroad, then the main item of interest and growth in the area.

Kirby playgroundA plantation man from South Carolina, named Kirby, owned land containing large trees, which he cut and used to make railroad ties. Kirby selected the area where the city is located to stockpile his railroad ties and when crews needed more, the common remark was related to "Kirby Ties" as a place of identification.

Railroad construction actually began about 1890 and Kirby came on the scene between 1900-1910. The city was incorporated in 1955. Just a short drive from San Antonio, Fort Sam Houston and Randolph, Kirby operates under a home rule form of government with a mayor and six council members.

City Hall is located on Bauman Street, built on the site of the former City Hall. Council meetings are held at 7 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of each month.

Children attend school in the Judson Independent School District at Hopkins Elementary and Kirby Middle School.

CPS Energy provides natural gas and electricity to the city and wastewater treatment is through the San Antonio River Authority. Kirby has its own water supply from two wells. Solid waste and recycling are collected under a contract with Allied Waste. There are two large parks in Kirby: John Sterling Park on Charles Conrad Street, which contains a municipal swimming pool and large party house; and Friendship Park, just off Binz-Engleman Road. Kirby offers a variety of organizations for residents. The Kirby Senior Center serves lunches Monday through Friday and has various activities during the day.Kirby water tower

There are a number of shopping areas in the city, with several commercial establishments and a major grocery store, H-E-B, just a short drive away on FM 78. There are also a number of stores for your convenience which include Best Buy, Target, Office Max and Gold’s Gym.

For more information, please contact the City of Kirby at:


112 Bauman
Kirby, TX  78219
(210) 661-3198